Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Noah’s Ark is Lookin’ Real Fine

Lesson #1 about living in France: It might be nice and sunny and cloud free for 90% of days…but what they don’t tell you in that on those other 10% it POURS! And not only is it pouring but le Mistral is working out some anger in the form of very gusty winds.

8. The number of umbrellas I saw fly inside out.

2. The number of umbrellas that have opened, thrown their bolts and springs everywhere, and then died on me.

3. The number of times a car hit me with a wave of water…something tells me they like seeing my reaction.

5. The number of articles of clothing currently drying on my radiator because the rain soaked through 2 coats, one pair of jeans, one pair of leggings under those jeans, hat, scarf and shoes.

3. Times I laughed at how absurd I must look trying to jump over the mini streams that formed while flowing downhill on my walk home…all going towards my house.

2. Times of just wading through these streams because, hey, you’re already soaked. While bother jumping?

3. HUGE puddles I tromped through because my jeans were already soaked, so soaked that the water had crept up the legs all the way to my knees. The only dry part of me was my back because of my book bag…which is also drying next to the radiator.

5. Number of Britney Spears songs I listened to on the walk home because I figure she’ll keep me smiling.



Lesson #2 – When it rains, it pours. Power walking has become a new sport for me. The ability to get home faster than usual is very advantageous for when the heavens open and start what looks to be on par with a Biblical flood.

2. The number of cups of coffee it’s going to take to muster up the courage to make the walk to Marchutz in a couple of hours.

1. The number of how many midterms I totally kicked academic butt on this morning!

10. The number of assorted sized canvas boards I bought for this weekend/week’s trip to Giverny with Marchutz.

25. The number of colors of oil pastels in the set I bought today which will make their debut this afternoon and which I plan on doing some sketching with while in Paris with Mom <3 Hooray!

1. Raincoat which I need to buy, maintenant!

1,239,343,093. The estimated number of raindrops which plunked on my head on the walk home…I could hear them over the music playing in my earbuds! They’re HUGE raindrops!



Lesson #3 – When you can’t change it, accept it. Instead of getting bummed about this GROSS weather I plan on spending the next hour reveling in the glory that was my midterm paper, watching Gilmore Girls, eating the delicious sandwich I bought on the way home (plus M&Ms and Sprite…my body needs something more than all this good food! I need some sugar!), cuddling my stuffed animal turtle Freddy, wearing comfy clothes and snuggling up in my favorite oversized long sleeve waffle tee. If you ask me, my plan for the afternoon is perfect. And it’s nice to not feel guilty about being a bum for a little while; after all, the rain is good for justifying quiet moments like this.

1 comment:

  1. Haha you're adorable. I'm sorry you've had bad weather, but enjoy your relaxation time, and go buy that raincoat! Also, Britney Spears? Hahaha.

    -Dennis

    ReplyDelete