Sunday, December 20, 2009

2 More Sleeps. Wait. What?

I should’ve included a “knock on wood” signoff on my last blog. I am now (hopefully, knock on wood) at two sleeps, what what, right now.

This morning I took a cab to the Marseilles airport at 4:30 am. Saying goodbye to Mamie was really hard but she’s super sweet and told me lots of nice things before I left. She even gave me this pretty decoration that had been hanging in my room all semester so I can hang it and think of her in the US. And I gave her some chocolates and one of my paintings. It was one of my favorites, but I can’t say no to Mamie. She’s the greatest host mom in the world!

So this morning I met up with my friend Marissa at the airport. Our first flight from Marseilles to Brussels was delayed by over two hours. But if we didn’t take that flight we would’ve been stuck in France until Monday. And we’re both at the point where we need to be out of France. I had my heart set on getting home today, and apparently at the very least, at getting out of France.

We took the flight to Brussels and FLEW through security and border control and we made it to our gate. We could see the plane! But the woman wouldn’t let us on because they had already finished the paperwork. Really? We tried our hardest. We were nice. We applied the waterworks (for reals, not pretending!). We tried to play on her human side, “We’re coming home from 4 months abroad – PLEASE!” But it was all to no avail.

We then spent the next 3 hours in line to work out getting on another flight. Sadly, there are no more flights until Monday morning. We did, however, meet an Army man on his way home for a 16-day leave. He’s an interesting character, but we’re all staying at the same hotel together and making the best of this situation! We’re staying at the NH Hotel in Brussels, Belgium.  It’s a “dank” (as my friend said) hotel – aka SHA-WEET!!!  We’ve both taken showers and feel human again after I don’t even know how many hours awake. I was too excited about coming home last night to sleep more than 1.5 hours before my alarm went off at 3:30 am so I could drink café with Mamie for the last time.

Tonight we’ll watch some TV; right now it’s the Simpsons…in English! It’s very exciting to watch TV again. I know, I know. I shouldn’t be that excited, but it’s been months! I can’t wait to be home again, but in the meantime we have a sweet setup. The airlines comped all of our meals, hotel and transportation. So really, we’re gaining a day in Brussels during the Christmas market season and we don’t have to pay anything (except for another outfit because I stupidly thought I wouldn’t need to pack extra clothing in my carryon because I was going home! Hahaha…what a joke I played on myself).

So I’ll be home on Monday the 21st, provided no more snowstorms delay my flights or cancel them. I’m crossing my fingers! I HAVE to be home for the holidays. I’m already pretty bummed I won’t get to hang out with Dennis Saturday-Monday like we were planning…but I’m trying to not dwell on sad things because hopefully I’ll be home in just two more sleeps.

Wish me luck!

See you all soon…I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment